Sunday, April 27, 2014

Taco Soup

I love how easy this recipe is, and it makes a TON. It completely fills an entire gallon sized freezer bag. If you're only cooking for 2 like me, you may want to separate it into multiple bags. Another thing I like is that you can use whatever kind of meat you like. The recipe uses ground beef. We all know I don't eat ground beef (unless I'm making an exception for a delicious burger) so the first time I made this I used ground turkey. The second time I made it I used leftover Crockpot Taco Chicken and that was awesome!

This was another Six Sisters Stuff recipe I found on Pinterest:
Black Bean Taco Soup

Other than changing the meat, I also opted to get diced tomatoes instead of stewed. I used stewed tomatoes the first time I made this and the soup came out extremely thick, it was actually more like chili. It wasn't a terrible thing because it still tasted good but it was just really thick, and not really soupy. So the next time I made it I swapped the stewed tomatoes for the diced since they tend to have more juice in them, and I added some chicken stock also to thin it out. These changes made it more soupy and less chili-ish.

I crumbled up some tortilla chips to top it off which was really good. The first time I made it when it was in a more chili like state, I threw some shredded cheese on top and let it melt, so good!

I don't add the chicken stock until I'm putting it in the crock pot. By doing this, you can use the thicker version to make nachos or tacos (or the chili if you want). The more uses you have for the same recipe, the better it is in my opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment